EOTO 1: Illusory Truth Effect




The Illusionary Truth Effect is when a person constantly hears the same fake news and begins to believe that purely for the reasoning of that same fake news being constantly being exposed. they are also more inclined to understand or believe something that is in line with what is familiar with what they know. The illusory is a huge part of advertising, news media, and political propaganda. It is most definitely used within entertainment media all the time. 

In my opinion, the Illusionary Truth Effect is never good because once someone believes what they read, they simply go on to spread what they hear to others which becomes a huge issue especially if we are talking about something that can negatively impact someone's life. With the Truth Effect, I do believe that if the person who is giving the information is a white, a male, if they are of higher status or more wealthy, society is more inclined to believe them. This definitely affects my generation or the younger generation because we seem to believe everything that we hear as opposed to researching the information and then forming their own opinion. One thing that will always stick in my mind is the time I told my mom some random fact that was completely incorrect. She knew that it was baseless but in order to teach me she told me to look it up and see if it was true on 5 separate reputable sites. I did and found myself apologizing. She told me to research before I open my mouth next time because it's one thing to sound stupid to your mom but its another thing to sound stupid to someone else. I will always remember that.

Comments